O'Reilly's Strata + Hadooop World Conference in San Jose, CA is coming right up and it looks great! Data Elixir readers save 20% on most passes with this code: AFF20
In the News
Has a rampaging AI algorithm really killed thousands?
In a widely circulated story, Ars Technica recently accused a metadata-driven, machine learning system of killing thousands of innocent people. The Guardian picked the story apart and concluded something very different. Together, these are fascinating reads:
Data Storage Innovations
The innovations underway in data storage are mind-boggling! For instance...
Tools and Techniques
The LIGO Scientific Collaboration recently made the first direct detection of gravitational waves and the first observation of two black holes merging. Cool! If you're not sure what all the fuss is about, here's a great collection of short, visually rich videos to start with.
From there, check out this Reddit AMA with the LIGO Scientific Collaboration. It's a fantastic AMA with over 5600 upvotes!
And finally, an iPyhon notebook tutorial: Signal Processing With Gw150914 Open Data This tutorial shows you how to recreate the results, spectrograms, and sound files yourself and is complete with code and links to the data.
- Data Operations at Diffbot.
- Machine Learning Engineer at Init.ai.
- Postdoctoral position at Pompeu Fabra University.
- Big Data Consultant at Kynapse.
- Data UI Engineer at Paxata.
- Data Scientist & Functional Programmers at Commonwealth Bank.
- Data Scientist / Software Engineer at Commonwealth Computer Research, Inc.
Data Elixir is curated and maintained by @lonriesberg. If you find this newsletter worthwhile, please help spread the word! Forward to your colleagues or share on your favorite network:
- For stories in your news feed, Like the Data Elixir Facebook page.
- Follow on Google Plus
- Share on LinkedIn