In the News
A first exploration of a new planet will never happen again in our lifetimes.
The New Horizons spacecraft reached Pluto this week, which is an incredible achievement, in itself, but it's the data that makes it worthwhile. The links below are highly recommended!
- Fast and Light to Pluto - This 13 minute video by The New York Times is a fantastic overview of the New Horizons mission that will make you proud to be human.
- Why It'll Take New Horizons 16 Months to Send Us This Week's Data - Data collection, storage and transmission on space programs is HARD! This is a great run-down of the challenges and strategies that are being used to retrieve data from New Horizons.
- New Horizons Mission Website - Here's where to go for updates or more info.
Tools and Techniques
- Civis, the "new data science platform" has LOTS of openings for data scientists, visualization specialists, data architects, and managers.
- Facebook has 112 open positions in their Data and Analytics Group!
- Twitter is hiring for its new AI group, "Cortex."
- The Data, Analytics, and Algorithms at Netflix has 22 openings to work on things like personalization, discovery analytics, page algorithms, adaptive streaming, and UI experimentation.